Fr. Sam Koonamplackil, VC
The world is in the grip of Satan (1Jn 5:9) ever since the Sin of Adam and Eve. Life is a battlefield and one needs protection and deliverance from the ruler of this world, the devil (CCC 409). That is also the reason the Holy Bible talks of warfare/ battlefield and the weapons of warfare – Eph 6:10-17 (For our struggle is not against enemies of blood and flesh but against the rulers … powers of this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places … take up the whole armour of God … ).
To explain these weapons of warfare in simpler terms for our own protection and deliverance there are six simple steps.
- Believe in the Lord Jesus – “Believe on the Lord Jesus and you will be saved, you and your household”, St Luke writes in Acts 16:31. And Jesus has become our Saviour through His death by which he destroyed the one who has the power of death that is the devil and freed all those who were held in slavery by the devil (Heb 2:14-15). He removed sin by the sacrifice of Himself … to save those who are eagerly waiting for Him (Heb 9:26, 28). If we confess with our lips that Jesus is Lord… we will be saved for in the name of Jesus every knee shall bend in heaven and on earth and under the earth (Phil 2:10) as He has been given all authority in heaven and on earth (Mt 28:18). The same power of God that raised Christ from the dead is available for us who believe, with all the immeasurable greatness (Eph 1:19,20) and consequently even demons submit to us in the name of Jesus (Lk 10:17,18,19). So believe in Jesus (the only salvation) and use His name with faith for deliverance and protection (Acts 4:12).
- Love and Forgive one another unconditionally – The next step to gain protection and deliverance from bondages is to forgive one another and to love one another. Jesus says, “Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you so that you may be children of your Father in heaven” (Mt 5:44-45). So when you are perfect as your heavenly Father is perfect in loving not just your friends but even your enemies then (Mt 5:48) you will become the children of your Father in Heaven. And if you are the child of the Father then no evil will touch you.
God is love and those who abide in love abide in God and God abides in them (1Jn 4:16) and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God (1Jn 4:7) and whatever is born of God conquers the world (1Jn 5:4). When we love we are in God for God is love. We know that those who are born of God do not sin, but the one who was born of God protects them and the evil one does not touch them (1Jn 5:18). So one definitive way of gaining protection is to love one another unconditionally and be delivered from bondages through forgiveness. For when we don’t forgive the sins of our offenders then God doesn’t forgive us our sins (Mt 6:14,15). For if God is love then hatred is Satan and no one who sins has either seen God or has known Him (1Jn 3:6). And everyone who commits sin is a child of the devil (1Jn 3:8). So the devil has complete dominion over the one who doesn’t forgive. That one cannot be delivered from bondage and cannot be protected by God even, for, they are not in love.
- Blood of Jesus – In Christ we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses (Eph 1:7) and the purification of our conscience from dead works to worship the living God (Heb 9:14). His blood is much more than the blood of animals as, He through the eternal Spirit offered Himself without blemish to God (Heb 9:14, 13) and the accuser was conquered by the blood of the Lamb (Rev 12:1) and Jesus is that Lamb of God (Jn 1:35,36).
Drinking the blood of Jesus gives eternal life (Jn 6:5). Satan has come to kill but Jesus has come to give life in abundance (Jn 10:10).The more we drink the blood of Christ, the more is the power to overcome Satan’s murderous ways. And so we will have protection.
- Intercession of Mother Mary – Mother Mary was given power over the devil and (Gen 3:15) because God had to prepare a body for Jesus to be born and He wanted the free cooperation of a creature (CCC 488). By her consent, “Here am I the servant of the Lord; let it be with me according to your word” (Lk 1:38), Mother Mary became the cause of salvation for herself and for the whole human race. Death that was brought through Eve transformed into life brought through Mary (CCC 494). Also because she was preserved from the stain of original sin (CCC 491) and was accorded ‘an entirely unique holiness … to be holy and blameless before Him in love’ (CCC 492), satan did not have power over her. Since she is the mother of Christ and the Spouse of the Holy Spirit, the Queen of heaven (Rev 12:1) due to her humility and sacrifice, the entirety of heaven and earth joins her in the war against the dragon and satan cannot win over her (Rev 12:1-16). She is specifically protected by God (Rev 12:6, 15, 16). So all those who are under her protective mantle cannot be won over by the devil.
- Prayer to St Michael – St Michael is one of the archangels. He and his army of angels win over satan (Rev 12: 7 – 9). Asking for the intercession of St Michael and all the other angels is a quick remedy to come out of bondage and a solution for protection (CCC 328, 334-336). His main responsibility is to fight the devil and stand for the welfare of the children of God (Jude 9).
- Priestly Prayers and Unison with the Church – Jesus gave power and authority (Mt 16:18-20) to Peter (consequently his Church) over Hades and so the devil cannot prevail over the Church. He also gave power to His apostles (the Church) over demons. He extended this power to His disciples (Lk 10:1,17-19) and to all those who believed in His name (Mk 16:17). And He promised to be with the disciples (the Church) till the end of the age (Mt 28:20). So for protection and deliverance, always be a faithful child of the One, Holy, Catholic, Apostolic Church. She is your mother. She will protect you every moment from all the dangers because Jesus is with her till His second coming.
Fr. Sam Koonamplackil VC
One definitive way of gaining protection is to love one another unconditionally and be delivered from bondages through forgiveness
The same power of God that raised Christ from the dead is available for us who believe, with all the immeasurable greatness (Eph 1:19,20) and consequently even demons submit to us in the name of Jesus (Lk 10:17,18,19).